Ten Life Lessons From IKEA

Happy New Year!

The New Year is a time for assessing, pondering, putting plans into place and moving forward. But for me it is also a time for learning. Most of all learning about me, it seems.

So this is how it went. I needed a shelf space in my new studio for shipping and receiving all of my Etsy Shop products. Plus a space to store all of my shipping supplies. Enter the IKEA catalog. I found the perfect thing, but WOW (!) that sucker was heavy. 75 lbs to be exact. I knew I couldn't move that thing on my own so I grabbed my friend Mary and we managed to select, purchase and wrangle it into my car. (LIFE LESSON #1 Teamwork always works.)

But Mary had to get home as she had a skirt to make. (Like you do.) So I was on my own getting this behemoth out of my car. (LIFE LESSON #2 Don't worry too much about the future. The solution will present itself.) So I dropped Mary off and went on my merry way up to my studio.

As I pulled into my parking space I saw two guys standing around and chatting. So I got out of my car, smiled and asked if they would mind helping to slide the heavy thing into my wheeled cart (that I had put in my car just in case), and I could take it from there. (LIFE LESSONS #3, 4 & 5 Be polite. Ask for what you need. And have a backup plan.)

After the nice guys helped get the package in the cart I wheeled it into my studio, dumped it over, opened it and got out the directions. I gathered my tools and got started. (LIFE LESSONS #6 & 7 Read the directions, they are there for a reason and always use the right tool for the job... and keep 'em in a tool box so you can find 'em.)

I was a bit daunted. I mean I make stuff, but I don't really build furniture you know? But I thought "Heck... I can do this. How hard can it be?" (LIFE LESSON #8 Stay positive.) 

 I checked the directions and started in step-by-step (LIFE LESSON #9 Heed the warning signs) and you know what? In 45 minutes I was done!

One last consult of the directions gave me LIFE LESSON #10 (Don't do anything stupid) and presto my shipping station was complete and I felt like a super hero.

So you know what? Bring it 2013... If I can build IKEA furniture, I can do anything!
◄ Newer Post Older Post ►
 

Copyright 2011 Make at Home is proudly powered by blogger.com